7.06.2009

Flower Power



Each year I set out to create a tranquil foliage garden that relies on a variety of textures and a nuanced palette of greens and dark purples for its quiet impact. No, not for me the showy vulgarity of flowers - I want subtlety and sophistication. My one concession is the window box, which, let's face it, wasn't intended to be a place for restraint. Then, each year, right around this time in fact, I'll be driving down Richmond Avenue, taking in the mad riot of color in the yards and the spectacular roundabouts, and suddenly I WANT FLOWERS!!

Being late to the game forces me to play catch up, and it's a challenge finding space in my tiny tiny yard for something new. Fortunately, a mistake I made this year is working in my favor. I left the mulch on too long around the small tree in my hell-strip, and the wildflowers that usually pop up there haven't. So I went over to Urban Roots and selected a mixture of interesting looking flowering perennials. I can't wait to see how it turns out! Since they're perennials, they won't be too showy, but that's a good thing in my small yard. Plus if I've chosen and planted well, they'll be back year after year. Stay tuned to see how it all turns out!

No comments: