6.21.2009

Weekends (Not) in Syracuse

I spent this weekend in Syracuse visiting my family. We had a mini-party for my aunt's birthday on Saturday night, and a Father's Day cookout at my brother's house on Sunday. I don't know if it was Saturday's taco dip or the Timmy Ho's egg salad wrap I ate on the Thruway, but something threw me for a loop Saturday night and most of the day Sunday. I felt like crap, and I doubt I was much fun to be around. If you're thinking "gee, are you ever?" do me a favor and slap yourself for me. Thanks. Anyway, even when I'm feeling 100%, spending time in Syracuse is kind of weird for me, partly because it's not actually spending time in Syracuse anymore. My family (aunt, grandfather, parents and brother) have spent the past decade or so moving out of the city and into the suburbs. The familiar streets and routes I knew by heart have been replaced by more complicated suburban routes, and to get anywhere I have to concentrate and watch for landmarks and make sure I'm in the correct lane to make a particular turn. It's kind of disorienting. There are upsides, of course. I no longer have to witness the ever-accelerating decline of the neighborhood I grew up in, and I don't miss that at all.

No comments: