1.19.2009

Credit Where Credit is Due

I had one of those "good news/bad news" days today, with an absolutely sublime episode of Gossip Girl and the fact that our nation is poised to set off in a new direction tempered by the little tickle in my throat that means I'm going to be sick in a couple of days. In order to tip the scales decisively in favor of "good news" I'm going to applaud the return of customer service. When I was in high school I worked in a local supermarket as a cashier. My work ethic was sketchy, and when I look back at some of the mischief some of us got into on a regular basis, it's a miracle I wasn't fired. Oh wait, I was fired. But when it came to customers, I knocked myself out to keep them happy. I was a good cashier. I was accurate, fast and friendly. But that was a long time ago, and I'm not breaking any new ground by lamenting the sorry state of customer service in the years since I was in high school. Lately, however, I've been noticing that customer service is coming back. Not everywhere, of course, but here and there; certainly often enough to catch my attention. Three local businesses in particular get rave reviews: Elmwood Market, Delta Sonic Car Wash, and the coin-op laundromat in West Ferry Plaza.

No comments: