11.25.2008

Big Wheel Keeps On Turnin'


I spend a lot of time at Niagara Falls, partly because being there reminds me of my college days when a whole Sunday's worth of fun could be had for the price of a gallon of gas - split four ways. It's also partly because I've yet to take that truly amazing photograph of the Falls that I know is inside me waiting to get out. But mostly it's just because I like being near the rushing water. I hardly ever cross the border into Canada, but one day last summer the lure of the giant ferris wheel was too strong to resist, so I walked across the Rainbow Bridge and headed for Clifton Hill and the Sky Wheel. As soon as I was inside the pod and the Sky Wheel started turning, I knew my impulse decision had been a mistake. The sky was almost dark, and the glare from lights inside the pod and on the Wheel made it difficult to see through the glass. Plus, even though it was dark outside the lights that illuminate the Falls hadn't come on yet, so all I could see was a giant patch of black instead of one of the natural wonders of the world. That truly amazing photo would have to wait for another day. Still, it was a fun ride, and maybe I'll go back again during the day.

No comments: